Thiru Kumar finally pulls off a win at the Vendy awards after being nominated the past 2 years. Heres a list of people he beat out…
• Veronica Julien from Veronica’s Kitchen at Front Street & Pine Streets
• Muhammed Rahman from Kwik Meal at 46th Street & Avenue of the Americas
• the 10-member crew at Super Taco at 96th Street & Broadway
• Farez “Freddy” Zeideia of The King of Falafe
• Shawarma at 30th Street & Broadway in Astoria, Queens
Check out the interview we did last summer with Thiru.
Wonder what he thinks of the new M.I.A. album
If you’re in NYC, definitely go there and chow down, here is his menu.
Check out these guys with their wifebeaters and moustaches on, practicing for the annual Nehru Trophy Boat Race held on the second Saturday of August in Kerala. The video above is a crew practicing for the most popular event of the race called Chundan Vallams (Snake Boats).
This was started in 1952 when Jawaharlal Nehru, visited Alappuzha, and inaugurated the function in which the gigantic snake boats (140 ft in length, crew of over 100) raced one another.
‘Payipad Chundan of Kumarakom Town Boat Club’ pulled away this year with the win.
While ‘Karichal Chundan of St. George Boat Club’ came in 2nd
and my favorite ‘Sree Ganesh Chundan of Jesus Boat Club’ came in 3rd.